(To turn on beta testing of the profile page, click the Beta Features link in the header. If you still have this enabled from last time, you should automatically see the new version whenever you view a profile page. You can also append ?ver=2008 to the end of any profile url.)
Screenshots for comparison:
|Your Own Profile||Current||Beta 1||Beta 2||Current Beta|
|(with ads)||Current||Beta 1||Beta 2||Current Beta|
|Someone Else's Profile||Current||Beta 1||Beta 2||Current Beta|
|Community Profile||Current||Beta 1||Beta 2||Current Beta|
Why the Redesign:Many of you have asked in our previous posts why we're even redesigning the profile page at all. The current profile page does not scale well, and has not been significantly changed since... ever. It's been one long list going down the page, in no real order. We're redesigning it so information flows better, and is easier to navigate through. ( Read more...Collapse )
Challenges in Redesigning:The biggest challenge of redesigning the profile page is that different amounts of info will display depending on what the owner has filled out and what information has been set as viewable, and to who. Each section can be really long or really short. ( Read more...Collapse )
Fixes from Round 2, and Changes Based on Your Feedback:
- Fixed all the bugs listed in the last post.
- Fixed CSS so the Schools text wraps instead of pushing down to the next line which pushed Bio down too. Links in navigation up top also now wrap under instead of colliding.
- Removed the box around the top (looked too much like an ad).
- Removed the link from the journal title (redundant).
- Removed the flag journal link (offensive).
- Redesigned display of Friends/Communities/Feeds for better eye-flow going down the page.
- Added the ability for the viewer of a profile to collapse/expand various sections.
Feedback & Bugs:Please continue to give us your feedback!
edited to add at 5:20pm
It seems that there is confusion over the display of v-gifts on the profile page. Only v-gifts received in the last 2 weeks will appear on the profile. After that, they are moved to the v-gift history page. Recipients of the v-gift can also choose to have it removed from their profile page, or delete the v-gift completely. See this FAQ for more info.