There were 3 usability problems that we were trying to address with the new design.
- It's not easy to quickly scan the page and get key information from it. What we count as "key" information is the stats that would identify the person separate from other people who might have a similar username. And for a standard 800x600 or 1024x768, not a a lot of that information shows up without scrolling.
- A related issue is that for new users it's difficult to learn what the key links are.
- It's not quickly identifiable as a Profile page. This is because its look is identical to the rest of the site.
- That not-so-cute bug that truncates the Friends lists to 150 is totally intolerable. And yes, it is a bug. (I should've mentioned that earlier. Oops.) But it's pretty obvious that the 2 column thing isn't going to work out because Profile pages can get really really long. (Some users had 750 friends!) The page is always going to look too busy. So we would count that as "breaking" the design. Two columns is inherently problematic, so we're yanking that out.
- Contact Info is a much bigger deal than schools, which is great to hear. We'll adjust accordingly.
- grrliz made a mockup of the page and posted it. So we're taking that into consideration too.
- There's clearly some bugs. The Friends Of list doesn't show, and Schools has a bug where if you don't enter an end year, then it assumes you're still going there. We've got to fix those.
Mockups, and a description of our process to come.
And even though he didn't make the original design, veroz is working on the next rev to integrate your feedback. :)